PREP TIME: 20 minutes COOLING TIME: 1-2 hours
These bar are full of amazing antioxidant and plant protein ingredients for beastly power and strength! In addition to being nut-free (great for lunch boxes, camps and sports events), they are also dairy-free, refined sugar-free and gluten-free. Now that's GOT to make you happy!
Eating oats, seeds and dried fruit will increase fibre consumption which may help with blood sugar control since fibre helps to slow down our body's metabolism of carbs and the absorption of sugar.
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup brown rice syrup
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
¼ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon either flax OR chia seeds (whole, not ground)
1 cup total of dried fruit such as apricots, figs, raisins, dates - cut into small bit-size pieces
1/3 cup goji berries
1/3 cup bittersweet cacao nibs or dairy free, nut free chocolate chips (I love Camino brand)
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a square baking dish (8x8") with parchment paper (preferably unbleached and chlorine-free).
- In a small pan on very low heat, gently melt together the 'sauce' - the coconut oil, brown rice syrup, cinnamon powder and salt, then turn off the heat - we want to keep this bar raw!
- Meanwhile in a large bowl add the oats, pumpkin, hemp and flax (or chia) seeds, chopped fruit, goji berries and shredded coconut.
- Pour the sauce onto the dry ingredients, mixing it up well so everything gets a good coating.
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips - they will start to melt. If you would like them to remain whole, cool the mixture for 15 minutes before adding the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper and press down REALLY HARD with the back of a clean large spoon or spatula to make an even condensed layer – about ½“ thick. BRIT BEET TIP: I like to fold the edges of the parchment paper back over the mixture to create a clean edge.
- Then using clean hands, press down firmly with your palms, making sure you press down all around the edge. This step is VIP as it helps ‘hold’ the bars together.
- If you need the bars in a hurry, slide the dish into the freezer for 30 minutes otherwise place them in the fridge for 1-2 hours to cool down and firm-up
- Once set, remove and cut the bars into the size you want to dig your teeth into!