PREP TIME: 15 Minutes SERVES: 3/4 as a pesto for a Mains Salad
This is such an delicious pesto that is ever so good with raw veggies, crackers and of course, your favorite pasta. The roasted pumpkin seeds just elevate the taste, making it exotic enough to serve even on special occasions. I can't get enough of it when I spread it over my Herby Almond Crackers! However, taste is only half the story of this Radiance Pumpkin Seed Pesto; it has a lot more to offer in the battle against anti-aging... keep reading!
Pumpkin seeds have phytoestrogenic properties that help replace dwindling levels of estrogen as we age, shoring up the elasticity, firmness and radiance of our skin.
Black cumin seed oil was reportedly used by Cleopatra for its valuable health and beauty benefits - and she was a beauty indeed!
*I cup of pumpkin (green) seeds
1 cup of fresh cilantro, including the stalks
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (for that faux parseman flavour)
Rind of one lemon (organic preferably)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
¼ teaspoon of black (cumin) seeds (Find them at health food stores in herb section)
½ teaspoon of Celtic sea sal
¾ cup of extra virgin olive oil
*Best method: Soak the pumpkin seeds in warm water for 4 hours or overnight in a cool spot. Drain off the soaking water and rinse several times before using. This helps ensure greater nutrient bioavailability.
- Heat your oven to 300F and spread the pumpkin seeds in a single layer onto a tray lined with parchment paper (preferably unbleached/chlorine-free).
- Roast the seeds for 30/40 minutes (kitchen will smell amazing), turning the seeds over after 15 mins to get an even browning.
- Once cooled, pop them into a food processor with the cilantro, garlic, nutritional yeast, rind and lemon juice, black seeds and salt and blend for 15 seconds.
- Fun part – using the spout of the food processor, pour your olive oil in a continuous stream to make your delicious pesto. Grab a spoon and have a taste - add more lemon/salt as needed.
- Pop it in the fridge for 2-3 days. I guarantee, you will find ingenious ways to enjoy it at every meal.