PREP TIME: 30 minutes BLEND & FREEZER TIME: 3+hours
I love using cashews in raw desserts; Since they are a plant protein source they provide amino acids, essential for our daily energy needs. They also help slow down sugar absorption which means we can happily indulge without the possibility of sugar crash on the horizon. Parents - you especially have to love this outcome!
1.5 cups of cashews (soaked for 2 hours, then drained and rinse with fresh water)
3 cups of fresh cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped OR 1 cup of dried cherries marinated in 1 tablespoon of orange juice for 2 hours
3 red plums, skins left on and chopped coarsely
1 can of full cream coconut milk (look for BPA-free lined cans to cut down on heavy metal toxicity)
1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 teaspoons of almond extract (this really sets off the taste so don't be tempted to leave it out)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (helps make it creamy and thick)
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of coconut milk with the xanthan gum, until smooth.
- Using a blender, combine the cashews, remaining coconut milk, maple syrup, palm sugar, almond extract and the coconut milk/xanthan gum mixture then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the fruit using the pulse button - you want to keep some small pieces intact for some bit-size fruit texture.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and mix for 30 - 45 minutes, depending on the manufacture's instructions.
- Ladle into a glass dish with a lid and freeze. Allow at least 10 minutes to soften, before serving yourself a big scoop! (or two ...!)