PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES SERVES: 6 (2/3 truffles each)
These decadent chocolate truffles are a quick treat to whip up for your family, friends and 'pop'-in guests over the holiday season. I always make a double batch because the first batch doesn’t make it out of the kitchen…!
Cacao, a prized food of the early Mayan empire, is an unprocessed form of chocolate and one of the richest sources of antioxidant foods in the world. Happily for us it is an excellent source of magnesium, helping relax sore muscles and frayed nerves over the hectic holiday season!
15 Medjool dates
1½ cups raw walnut pieces
¾ cup cacao powder
1½ tablespoons honey
Rind of orange
1 -3 teaspoons orange juice, depending on moisture level and for a festive treat, add a splash of brandy but cut back on the orange juice!
Pinch of sea salt
- Take the pits out of the dates making sure you have removed one pit for each date - sounds silly I know, but it can really wreck one's food processor blade!
- Toss the pits in the bin
- Place walnuts in a food processor and grind for several seconds until it has formed a coarse powder
- Add the pitted dates, cacao powder, honey, orange rind and salt to the processor and process until the mixture comes together into a moist dough
- Add the orange juice, one teaspoon at a time, until you can ‘pinch’ the dough in your fingers and it sticks together
- Fill a small bowl with warm water and put on one the side
- With clean hands, use your fingers to take about a small walnut size piece out of the processor and put in the palm of your hand.
- Now roll your palms together to form a ball, continuing to wet your palms as they become sticky
- Place each ball on a tray and chill before serving (Warning: They may not make it past the fridge)