5 Star Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
PREP TIME: 25 minutes COOK TIME: 50 minutes to 1 hour
Buckwheat, commonly thought of as a grain, is in fact a fruit seed, closely related to rhubarb. It contains nutritious components that protect against disease by extending the action of vitamin C and by acting as an antioxidant.
It took me a long time to tweak this recipe – I wanted a truly tasty banana bread with healthy fats, no refined sugar, dairy and gluten free. I usually double up this recipe and freeze one for later as it’s very popular! A good tip is to use up all your overripe bananas; I put my overripe bananas in the freezer and pull them out a few hours before starting to bake so they come up to room temperature.
½ cup coconut sugar
¾ cup coconut oil
5 large bananas
3 organic egg
3/4 cup each of buckwheat flour and brown rice flour (1.5 cups in total)
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup good dairy-free quality chocolate chips (I like ‘Camino’ brand)
- Set the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf tin with coconut oil, or use unbleached parchment paper to line the tin, I find this makes it easier to lift out!
- In the food processor, mix together all the wet ingredients well, then add the dry ingredients in (I never bother to sieve the baking soda and flour together before I add it and it comes out perfectly fine).
- Pulse to combine – don’t over mix at this point
- Cook for 50-1 hour in the middle of the oven or until a skewer comes out clean. (Note: it can take up to one hour and 15 minutes to cook, especially if you were using frozen bananas that have not fully defrosted!)
- Leave it to cool down on a wire rack before taking it out of the loaf time. Be ready for the hordes!